ABOUT KIMEKOMI DOLLS
【Kimekomi doll's history and how to made.】
Kimekomi doll's history
- KIMEKOMI DOLLS…These dolls ware called KAMO-NINGYOU because the original dolls were made at the Kami Kamo shrine in Kyoto. The first dolls were made by Takahashi Tadashige using pieces of willow tree wood shaped to resemble a body, cutting grooves in the dolls, and using glue to attach fabric scraps into the grooves to create clothes. The process of making the Kimekomi dolls has evolved over time, as has the styling of the dolls. The original use of carved willow wood has almost completely disappeared and doll makers now use a variety of processes to make the traditional grooved body. The concept of shaping and folding, then gluing fabric into the grooves has remained constant over time.
- The process that our proud craftsman use, carrying on a long tradition in Japanese doll-making, is described below: The process of creating a KIMEKOMI DOLL Each process of making is proud of a craftsman. For Example, Making bodies, making head, and putting fabrics.....
MAKING BODY PROSSES
- First, the craftsman creates a prototype made of clay.
- Then, a Kimekomi mold is made from either the original prototype, or one created just for use in this process.
- Wooden clay, a form of wooden composite, is used to mold the body
- It then hardens.
- Once the hardened body is removed from its mold.
- The extra edge is planed and grooves for the fabric are carved into the body.
PUTTING FABRIC PROSSESOur working process begins at this point!!
- We choose some fabrics and put together, and change in order, color or patterns. When they are match color and patterns we decided, we choose the fabrics for complete set or finished doll.
- Our craftsmen sand the body surface smooth and make holes where the head and hands will be attached.
- Glue is carefully applied to the body's carving line.
- Fabrics are draped and then tucked into the glue filled carving lines.
- Extra fabric is cut off and all of the remaining fabric edges are slipped or glued into the carving line.
- Lastly, the head and hands are attached.
- And our KIMEKOMI doll is complete and ready for staging.
This web site is selling Kimekomi dolls kits, completed dolls, fabrics and tools. You can see a lot of Japanese kimekomi dolls here.Please ask us if you need only body or face. I could be prepared them.
- Q & A We will sell not only kits but also completed dolls, so please ask us if you are interested in the dolls.
- When you are coming to the store, please ask me first. I'll be there when it is possible.
- Address: 660 Aiharamachi, Machidashi, Tokyo,
- 194-0211 JAPAN
- Fax: +81-42-772-7515
Kimekomi doll store